9.10.2011

Fabric Flower Necklace

Tomorrow is the birthday of a very good friend, Rose. And in my typical ways, I put off making a gift until the last minute. Her birthday party is tonight.
She is totally a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, but she loves to wear jewelry. Especially handmade. She and I often have little jewelry making get-togethers where we sit in front of the TV with beers and pliers in hand, watching horror films.

I've been seeing these flower necklaces everywhere, so I thought I'd try one. I used this tutorial, over at Home Spun Threads, to make the flowers. Then I stitched a piece of black felt to the back. I've seen a lot of tutorials where they put the jump rings through the felt, but I am no stranger to how easily felt can stretch over time, so I secured my jump rings to the felt with a bunch of stitches. And when I say a bunch, I really mean overkill. Sorry for the poor picture quality, but at least it gives to a good idea of what the necklace looks like. I used a different sized shiny black button for the center of each bloom, there are three blooms in total. I used a toggle clasp, because I know Rose likes them. I prefer lobster clasps, but to each their own!

This is a super easy project that you can whip up in no time. The hardest part of making this necklace was getting the drape of the second chain right.

No comments:

Post a Comment